Feeling the depths: Continuum and the Joy of Contact
by Mary Abrams
Threshold Wellness, 440 E. Girard Ave., Philadelphia
$350 with deposit by April 18th (limited scholarships available)
To thrive as humans we are in constant skin contact with our world. We know the support and healing gifts and creative play of touch first with our early caregivers, then with playmates and/or siblings, and eventually as adults with trusted loved ones or bodywork professionals. Deep calmness and satisfaction can awaken in one’s nervous system when they experience considerate, listening, and playful touch. When one experiences interested attention through trusted touch, joy and self-recognition can flow freely.
This workshop explores ways to experience integrity and intimacy by developing “body listening” skills through breath/sound and the fluid resonance of Continuum Movement, and by moving with body to body contact. We will explore spontaneous movement expression individually, with partners, and in small groups to awaken our capacity for being with each other in genuine moments of moving, feeling, and expressing. Each day will also include verbal exchange using compassionate self-reflective awareness, to expand our possibilities for discovering new meaning and for building community through moving, touching, and being touched.
Mary Abrams brings passion, skill, and an inquisitive spirit to her teaching offering dynamic and detailed attention to breath, sensation, emotion, and creative development. She is an Authorized Continuum Teacher, directs and teaches at Moving Body Resources in New York City, and is course leader of the Master of Arts Dance & Somatic Well-being programme from the University of Central Lancashire (UK) in the USA. Her background includes 30 years of dance training and performance, 19 years of Continuum with Emilie Conrad and Susan Harper, and work with Gary David, Ph.D. incorporating body awareness and movement with the fields of Epistemics and Affect-Script Theory. She holds a BA in Dance Education with Departmental Distinction from St. Olaf College and a masters degree in Consciousness Studies through Goddard College. www.movingbodyresources.com
We’re so excited to introduce a new, and incredibly skilled massage therapist to our team. Sarah Hummel recently moved back to Philly after living in Austin the last few years, and has begun taking clients at Threshold. She is truly amazing and will book up fast. Sarah’s available by appointment on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and can easily be scheduled using this online calendar. You can read more about her, here ore here.
Free interactive workshop! A Body Wisdom class focusing on the pelvic bowl and Wild Feminine Living!
Blissful living can be found through connecting to your body. Through this workshop we will learn a few tricks to hear the wisdom of your body, how to go deep and stay present. Laughing and learning = healing! See you there!
Tuesday, March 25th from 6:30-8pm
To register, email hofferperkins @ gmail.com
Sophia Hoffer-Perkins, BA, LMT, Wise-Woman. Life-lover. Hilarity-Bringer. She brings over 25 years of healing experience to her authentic and dynamic workshops and private sessions. As a shamanic practitioner, intuitive licensed massage therapist, holistic pelvic care provider and Reiki Master she helps cut through layers of stress in transitions, physical pain, and loneliness and self-doubt to bring reconnection, renewed faith, and real, compassionate and inspired perspectives on life. Sophia is known for digging deep and laughing the whole way.
Get to know Sophia more at her blog: http://www.sophiahofferperkins.com/2013/07/16/23-no-fixing-50-things-that-help-me-heal/
Join Julia Taylor of Julia Taylor Massage Therapy and Lee Fogel of The Visioning Body as they share powerful insights into how your body can guide you to have a more easeful and expansive relationship to time.
In this experiential talk, Julia and Lee draw on their years of combined experience in Massage Therapy, Somatic Movement Education, Reiki, and Entrepreneurship to teach simple tools you can integrate into your life and work now to feel relaxed and empowered about the time in your day.
Where: Threshold Wellness, 440 East Girard Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19125
When: Wednesday, March 19th from 6-8pm
Register with the button below!
Jason Rinker is now accepting new, acupuncture clients on Wednesday mornings and Friday afternoons. One-on-one sessions are tailored to meet your needs. First session is 60 minutes and may include cupping, use of herbs, and/or therapeutic touch. Book your first appointment at www.jasonrinker.com.
Taught by Noga Kreimens-Miller
Throughout life, people can undoubtedly count on changes or transitional phase.
Having life throw a major curve ball your way can leave you longing for the way things were. But growing up is all about learning to leave some things behind in order to embrace the new. Dealing with a unsettling transition may not be easy, but there are ways to keep your sanity intact — and to turn the challenges into opportunities for growth.
Did you ever wish you had a simple tool to ease the process? Well, there is!
- How and when to use the remedies
- Most common emotional challenges during transitions and the specific remedies for treating them
- A protection guided meditation (you will LOVE it!)
- Using Rescue remedy for every day stresses
- And more…
The Bach Flower Remedies® are a safe and natural method of healing. They gently and safely restore the balance between mind and body by transforming negative emotions and attitudes to positive ones.
The Bach Flower Remedies® allow peace and happiness to return and stimulate the body’s own capacity to heal itself.
There are 38 remedies, each one for a different type of personality, situation or emotional state.
They are 100% safe for the whole family including babies, children, pets and even plants, and for every stage in life including pregnancy and breastfeeding.
To sign up please email Noga email@example.com and be sure to mention that you’re interested in the Philly class.
The workshop will be held on Saturday, March 22rd from 4pm-7pm
Cost is $35 if you preregister or $75 at the door
More info, go to www.nogakreiman.com
Noga Kreiman-Miller, doula of eight years and Bach Flower user and teacher for 16, is coming from NYC to offer our community this workshop. Professional, interactive and fun, this workshop promises you’ll learn:
- How to use the remedies during pregnancy and to prepare for Birth and postpartum.
- Most common emotional challenges during that time and the specific remedies for treating them
- Challenging labors – how to help when labor is – stalled, stuck, fast, slow to start and more
- The one exercise you can do with moms and their partners to help reduce fear and anxiety (and you will be amazed by the results!)
- How to take care of yourself so you can be fully present to support
“I took Noga’s Bach Flower Workshop for Birth Professionals last year. It was amazing. Noga hand chose some of the most important remedies for our laboring clients, introduced us to them in detail and shared exactly when and how to use them. Noga’s connection to the remedies is tangible, and she shares so much in this workshop with her passion for them and expertise as a doula. I left feeling like I had new tools to support my doula clients and that I had begun a journey into the wonderful world of bach flower remedies! I would recommend this workshop for any doula or birth professional looking to bring in new tools to their practice and help their clients have great birth experiences.” -Vivian Lord, Naturopathic Doctor
The workshop will be held on Sunday, March 23rd from 11am-2pm
Cost is $35 if you preregister and $75 at the door
More info on a similar course on www.nogakreiman.com
To sign up please email Noga firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to mention that you’re interested in the Philly class.
Have you ever wanted to read your own astrological chart? Unravel the mysteries of partnership? Be charming at parties?
Then, come Space Out! with Star Power Astro!
Space Out! @ Threshold Wellness
An 8-Week Introduction to Astrology
Wednesdays, 7:00 – 8:30pm
Feb 26-Apr 16
Threshold Wellness 440 East Girard Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19125
Email starpowerastrology @ gmail.com to register or visit the website for more info at starpowerastro.com
This beginner-level astrology class will spend 8 weeks exploring astrological archetypes and the fundamentals of chart reading. We will cover the signs of the zodiac, planets, houses, aspects and transits. By the end of the class, you will be able to understand all of the basics of astrology and read astrological charts for you and yours.
Reminding Anatomy: 4-part anatomy workshop
Whether you struggle with constant pain and discomfort, have fallen out of meaningful relationship with your body, or want to know what’s happening behind your skin without having to take a dry anatomy and physiology course, this workshop is for you. By looking at and then feeling your own anatomy, your options for acting on your own to feel great expand in unexpected ways.
In this workshop, you are invited to a join me, and a small group of others, as you learn about and gain access to your body’s pains, mysteries, and healing in new ways. Combine tangible anatomy education with play, dialogue, and tools to expand the resources you have to access your body’s intuition, ability to heal, and live an empowered and pleasurably embodied life.
You will learn basic anatomy of muscles, bones, organs, nerves, blood, and fascia through a variety of means:
- Image viewing – using interactive tools and my favorite books.
- Palpation – touch of self and each other to truly know where things are.
- Massage – of self and each other to help the anatomy sink in and remind you of how good it can feel to be in a body.
You will also learn how your relationship to your anatomy shifts your experience in the world:
- How to communicate with your body for results such as decreasing pain and more spot on decision making
- Languages your body uses to communicate
- What can keep you from hearing what your body is trying to tell you
When: Wednesday evenings from 6:00-7:30 p.m., January 29th – February 19th,2014
Register here or email julia @ thresholdwellness.com for more information
Calling all Creative Visionaries, Entrepreneurs, Self-Employed,Artists, Activists, Community Leaders, and Dreamers!
The Visioning Body Presents: Somatic Wellbeing for Visionaries and Leaders Community and Training Program
with Lee Fogel
What the Program Includes
- 8 experiential small-group workshops (35 contact hours) designed specially for leaders, creatives and entrepreneurs, and catered to the needs of individual participants:
- Holding Space for Your Body — Tracking sensations and tending your somatic needs as a leader and creative person.
- Rest, Digest, Activate - Supporting your on physiological and emotional cycles of relaxation, digestion and taking action.
- Community and Support - Exploring needs, desires and somatic methods for witnessing and peer support. Learning to pay attention and honor your somatic sense of boundaries.
- Riding your flow of Emotions — Honoring fear, excitement, shame, etc. and moving with grounded creativity.
- Re-envisioning Time - Learning to move with and organize time in ways that support you most.
- Let the Body Dream your Callings — A playful and embodied approach to life visioning.
- Money on the Mind, Money on the Body — Tending yours somato-emotional relationship to money.
- Celebrating and Honoring your Journey — Developing art of celebration during an ongoing process of visioning and creation.
- 3 hour-long Private Sessions to support your unique process and projects, and to help you integrate approaches learned in the workshops.
- Lessons, exercises and group activities designed based on your particular projects, needs and interests.
- Prompts and materials to inspire your work and self-care in between sessions.
- 1 Group Distant Reiki session to support your process, projects, and the group community.
- A one-one-one follow-up conversation focusing on next steps in your process.
- An online Graduates Forum, encouraging continued community after you complete the program.
Click HERE to learn more and reserve your place!